Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Yeah, so I blew off Na Blow Me.

(Na Blow Me being short for National Blog Posting Month, of course.)

What can I say? Shit's been happening. But before I blew it off, I lined up a whole bunch of photos so it would be easy to just come in every day and post something. HA! Proved THAT wouldn't work.

Anyway, here's a whole gigantor post with all the other stuff I've made recently, minus two shirts and a dress that I made after photographing the rest of this stuff. Yes, you're welcome, I'm generous that way.


 I love this jacket - it's camelhair, scavenged from a really REALLY long coat I made last spring - but I cannot get it to lay flat down on the bottom. It's so cuddly but I think the cuddliness is working against me.
 Scavenging fabric does present challenges, particulalry when it comes to having enough fabric for sleeves. I decided to just go with it and topstitch the join, above.
 This is another from that jacket pattern with the bias panels on the side. I've got it to lay flat on one side, but you can see it's poking up here on the other. DAMN IT. I'm not undoing it, though. I am just punk rock enough to let it be imperfect.
 I LOVE this shirt, it's a great color on me and it makes the most of my stupid short waist, but I had my friend Jen photograph me wearing it and I look for all the world like my sweet aunt Betty. I really do lead with my boobs.
 Also the buttons make it look like something I would have bought in the natural-clothing store in Eugene, circa 1989. In fact I think I wore this shirt at that awful Christmas at my father's house.

This was my first shot doing a button shirt without buttonholes (I'm blanking on the names of the little fabric tabs that encircle the buttons), and I really liked it. Making that little cloth tube is super easy.


This is linen and as you might expect, the cowl neck does not work because the linen's so stiff. It gives me a center boob, sort of like a unicorn. Surprisingly, this is not the best look on me.
Above, I left the edges raw but did run a seam about 1/4 in, so that when it unravels in the dryer, it will only make a little tiny soft edge rather and then stop when it hits the seam.
I love this shirt even though I feel like a hospital volunteer when I wear it.
I probably should have worked harder to align the print. Eh, life is fleeting.
Another linen cowl neck in this season's fuschia. LOVE this color. I ended up cutting the cowl neck off this thing and trying to make it work. It sort of does, it sort of doesn't.
Left a raw edge, again. I do like that. It's a little edgy (so to speak).
Side slits. They make for a nice line at the waist, I'm finding.
This is the other half of the camel-hair coat that I scavenged for that buttoned jacket, above. I originally made this duster-length in the spring of 2010 for a business trip to Europe, imagining it covering me like a blanket on the planes and trains I was going to be on.

It did a great job of that, but the Marcy Tilton pattern I took this from was meant for a short jacket, and the extra length just overwhelmed it. So I chopped off the bottom 3 feet and made myself a second jacket.
I do love the neck and shoulder on that pattern. The camel-hair doesn't have enough body to really hold it up - I made this in a melton (I think) in black, and that one's perfect--but I love the gloss of the camel-hair and the topstitching at the neck.
Another of those shirts with the pebbly buttons down the front. Why am I blanking on the name of the technique you use to make button shirts without button holes? I
I am fairly certain that I look insane when I wear this, unless I cover most of it up with a dark green jacket.
In real life, this jacket is not actually on its side.
Black boiled wool makes it feel more like a cardigan. I LOVE these buttons. They're heavy and mixed-metal and awesome, and I would like to hump the leg of whoever designed them.
Although they are pretty heavy.
Jacket from the back. It's another version of that bias-panel number I've been using a lot lately. It's a bit loose on me; I've lost something like 15 pounds in the last month, and I'm having to take in all of these.
OMG do I love this little number. With a red or purple scarf and a pair of black cigarette pants, I am the BOMB. This is another Marcy Tilton pattern, with a sort of box on one side of the design that, left unclosed on that side seam, makes this cool little drape of fabric.

I loved this pattern so much I tried closing the side seam to make a dress of this, rather than a tunic (because that box comes out from the side at about mid-hip, meaning if you wear it like a dress, you're flashing your parts at people), but that ruined the line of the fabric and made it look like I'd made a huge pocket and was hiding a squirrel in there. Not a terribly fetching look, I'm afraid.
Oh, the sheer awesomeness. I feel like a punk goddess when I wear this thing, and I am a 42-year-old white woman living in a cute little house with 2 tiny dogs.

This one's a frankenpattern, sort of Marcy Tilton but without the box thing. In tissue-weight wool that's sort of a cocoa color. I have to wear a cami under it or people can totally see my bra.
Another t-neck from the fabric pattern. I love this one too, except that when I wear it, it looks like I'm supporting the Washington State Cougars, when I live deep in the heart of UW Husky territory.
Another Marcy Tilton. This one doesn't hang as well, but the color's the tits, no?
Above I'm displaying the box.
OMG. I had no idea how much this actually looks like a vulva.

How I wish I were talking about Swedish automobiles.
Also, I needed to piece it together because I didn't have enough fabric. I decided to just go with it and used contrasting threads at the join, front and back.

5 comments:

Jodi Wade said...

I love the drapey camel hair jacket, looks great. Your writing style is hilarious, really makes me smile.

Brooke said...

OMG! Nicest comment ever. Thank you, Jodi! Now I'm going to go check out your blog.

Author, author! said...

Fabulous clothes! I was just making a list in my head this morning of Things I Am Thankful For and totally included (in fact they were first) these skirts you inspired me to make, which I wear all the freaking time.

And you are totally punk rock, so there.

Rox said...

Call us crazy, but we knitters call those button loops "button loops."

anotheryarn said...

I love the piecing together - something like that would leave that shirt a UFO for years upon years in my world.